POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : HDRI starfield : Re: HDRI starfield Server Time
20 Apr 2024 10:01:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HDRI starfield
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Jan 2021 02:33:51
Message: <6013ba5f$1@news.povray.org>
Op 26/01/2021 om 00:03 schreef Mike Horvath:
> On 1/25/2021 12:19 PM, Robert McGregor wrote:
>> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend an HDRI starfield texture that works with POV-Ray?
>>> I haven't used HDRI ever before so I don't know what to look for.
>>> Thanks!

Retrospectively, after answering to Hj. Malthaner in p.b.i. ("The
Expanse" Fanart, WIP - Ship passing a ringgateintotheringspace) I
thought that you could use any deep space photograph from the net (NASA
has some stunning ones) and convert it to .hdr or .exr. Gimp or (even
better) IC from Lilysoft can do that. However, you will also need to
convert to a spherical projection. IC can do some 3d projections but not
sure about those in this context.

--
Thomas