POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray related notes on upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.1 : Re: POV-Ray related notes on upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.1 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:32:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray related notes on upgrade to Ubuntu 20.04.1
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 28 Jan 2021 08:02:25
Message: <6012b5e1@news.povray.org>
On 1/26/21 3:07 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> I am going to try running POV under Ubuntu soon.
>>
>> Is there an installation tutorial somewhere?
>>
>> What editor do you recommend? I would prefer something like the Windows
>> editor so I don't have to learn multiple things at the same time.
>
> from what little I know, D Balaska's 'qtpovray' may be your best bet.
>
> regards, jr.

Given your editor constraint - what jr said.

As for install tutorials look for ones on how to install packages with
Ubuntu itself. Ubuntu is Debian based so v3.7 is a package available for
install. There are graphical package managers, but I open up a terminal
window (~ a command line window).

To see povray related packages available:
    apt-cache search povray

To install it:
    sudo apt-get install povray

To see what is installed:
    dpkg -l | grep povray

You can install Dick Balaska's qtpovray with the commands above, but
only after adding extra package repositories - and I forget how to do
that off the top of my head. There were pointers in his qtpovray posts
IIRC.

If you plan to hack code yourself, you need to compile - so do something
more like what Hj.Malthaner suggested is a way to go.

Lastly, if you are using Blender or you plan to use it, it has an editor
for POV-Ray SDL and methods to kick off and manage renders. It's
available as an install package too.

Bill P.