POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Normals have a directional bias : Re: Normals have a directional bias Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normals have a directional bias
From: Hj  Malthaner
Date: 7 Jan 2021 20:45:14
Message: <5ff7b92a$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/8/21 1:48 AM, Ash Holsenback wrote:
> On 1/7/21 5:12 PM, Hj. Malthaner wrote:
>> For sure I have not, cause I didn't even know about them. I'm still
>> using what is documented for 3.6/3.7
>>
>> I'll try to find some documentation about the finish related changes
>> in 3.8

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_1#Changes_and_New_Features_Summary

Thank you. It seems the following two were the finish related changes
mentioned earlier in the discussion ... did I miss some others?

* A new finish parameter use_alpha has been added to suppress highlights
and reflections depending on pigment transparency
* Fresnel angle-dependent attenuation can now also be applied to
highlights and the diffuse component for more physical realism

The use_alpha looks useful indeed. So far I gave highly transparent
glass very little specular highlights to avoid the problem.

I'm not sure how to make good use of the second point though?

--
Hajo