POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : radiosity in animation-- a partial solution to 'flicker' : Re: radiosity in animation-- a partial solution to 'flicker' Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity in animation-- a partial solution to 'flicker'
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 7 Dec 2020 13:46:02
Message: <5fce786a$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/6/20 6:58 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> [Just a reminder: I'm currently running the latest v3.8 Windows develpment
> build, which piggybacks on v3.7.0]
>
> POV-ray's real-time-raytracing feature for animation (since v3.7.0?) is
> something I use from time to time, so I decided to make a radiosity test with
> it.

Using RTR for animations & radiosity. Another cool idea.

While the rtr / kla option is not available by default on unix based
systems I've updated povr to run it. Thanks to Jerome, povr also
supports x11 display and I looked briefly at the x windows dump
capability to dump at the end of each camera render. Ran into some
encoding / conversion issues from that format into something more usable
- and dropped the effort.

Letting a 60 frame render loop at least 500 frames.

[17.7767 FPS]
-cc -fn -a0.3 -am2 +r2 -j2 +wt2 +w80 +h200 +rtr +kla -y x11

[17.6482 FPS]
-cc +fn -a0.3 -am2 +r2 -j2 +wt2 +w80 +h200 +rtr +kla -y x11

What the -fn to +fn slow down hints at is the internal structures needed
for file output are being updated position to position. This means
another and better option besides the x window dump would be trigger the
usual output mechanism on the change to a new camera.

  [ 8.34761 FPS]
-cc -fn -a0.3 +am2 +r2 -j2 +wt2 +w80 +h200 +rtr +kla -y x11

Showing that AA costs.

My animation set up is different than your fly by camera positions. In
my set up the camera is at the center and rotates.  At each of 60
positions, it points to a different version of at scene. In this way
stuff other than camera position can change.

When I turn on radiosity:

[ 8.46870 FPS]
-cc -fn -a0.3 +am2 +r2 -j2 +wt2 +w80 +h200 +rtr +kla -y x11

I do see flickering frame to frame. I think what's happening is we are
getting an initial set of in scene samples, with rtr, but these don't
get updated camera move to camera move - IF, there are already
enough samples.

Further, what I see in my real time set up on adding

  Radiosity_File_Name="RadSamples" +rfo +rfi

is an empty radiosity file getting additions on each camera position to
camera position change until it hits frame 60. The saved file sample
count is unchanged once the camera positions are revisited - until I
break out of the animation loop at which point another burst of samples
amounting to about 6% of the initial 60 camera position total is added.

If I then start a rtr cylic render up again with radiosity and the file
of samples as input, I immediately get another 6% addition to the
samples but then the sample count holds until I break out of the
rendering loop when I get another 5.6%

FWIW. I don't completely understand what is going on. Seems like the
preview part of radiosity only happens once on cyclic start. If I lower
the error_bound and low_error_factor I can get additional camera to
camera samples 60 frame loop to 60 frame loop. Makes me think these are
tied to the actual global space geometry in some way - which would mean
they should be adjusted for each scene's scale...

Oh, at least in my environment, I see all processors used.

Lastly, I tried the larger render size idea and it changes a little the
sample count, but not a lot. What changes I think is due the preview
start / end windows being a little different. It must be the decisions
on whether to add additional samples is all happening in the global
scene coordinate space. See error_bound and low_error_factor comments
above.

Bill P.