POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Elliptical torus : Re: Elliptical torus Server Time
18 Apr 2024 14:34:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Elliptical torus
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 21 Sep 2020 22:57:49
Message: <5f69682d@news.povray.org>
On 2020-09-20 6:24 PM (-4), Bald Eagle wrote:
> I just stumbled across this while trying to regain my sanity,
> and if even Ramanujan couldn't come up with anything but an approximation, than
> I think the rest of us are Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumbling around in the dark.
>
> :)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nW3nJhBHL0

You watch Matt Parker to regain your sanity?  I have some of his videos
languishing in my "Watch later" list because I'm afraid I'll *lose* my
sanity if I watch them.

> But don't anyone think that that will stop us from making another attempt, using
> new inspiration and mathematical tools!
>
> I think the above implies that due to the interesting properties of ellipses,
> that a workable solution will use numerical methods.

I am not convinced that this property is directly relevant to the
problem I am trying to solve.  I still think the key is in that quartic
equation I came up with, which should not require numerical methods
(beyond what's implicit in POV-Ray's built-in functions).  The problem
is that I am not practiced in solving quartic equations.

P.S.  I have known since 2007 that there is no exact formula for an
ellipse's circumference.  I discovered that while trying to weld this
'O' to the rectangular plate using an ellipse made out of blobs.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'povanized-b.png' (100 KB)

Preview of image 'povanized-b.png'