POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Peak memory usage : Re: Peak memory usage Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:51:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Peak memory usage
From: Thorsten
Date: 14 Sep 2020 07:01:50
Message: <5f5f4d9e$1@news.povray.org>
On 13.09.2020 10:59, Bill Pragnell wrote:
> I remember older versions of POV-Ray would report the peak memory usage of a
> render in the statistics, which I occasionally found useful (planning stupidly
> complicated scenes etc). Apparently this statistic is no longer reported by more
> recent versions. Of course process memory can be monitored with OS tools, but it
> was such a convenient place to see it I find myself wondering why it was
> removed. Anybody know what happened to it?

It wasn't removed, the data is just no longer available in 3.7 and later
because it used to be collected by a non-thread-safe addition and
subtraction. Back when 3.7 was developed, there was no thread-safe AND
portable way to do this.

With the atomic integer functions in the newer STLs (C++ 2014 and
forward, I think) that has been solved, but now this would require also
overloading the default allocators for new and delete given most
allocation works by way of the STL rather than malloc and free.

Thorsten