POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
25 Apr 2024 05:56:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 25 Aug 2020 07:26:11
Message: <5f44f553$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/24/20 1:35 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> Are these mapping types still in need of development?

None can be that important given how long they've not been done! :-)

Guessing a  at meaning/application, the parabolic I suppose might
occasionally be of use - parabolas. Taking the hyperbolic to mean
non-linear in some aspect of other usually linear mappings, that I guess
that would end up as a set of 'hyper' mappings for linear, spherical,
etc. Piriform suppose might have been aimed at two element blobs or
something?

My up front issue with all more complicated mappings - and with the more
complicated shape uv_mapping options - is one should first and foremost
work out how the maps can easily be created in POV-Ray(1). Or, know of
some standard external 'standard' like the light probe angular mapping
added to v3.8. Otherwise, you've got some feature you can 'advertise'
and which might look great for a demo or two, but in the end it's a
feature pretty much nobody uses.

(1) - Matching cameras, an interactive painting capability, ...

Aside: Most any complicated mapping can be accomplished today via
functions - though it might not be easy to get right, as you well know.

Bill P.