POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 2D image of parsing : Re: 2D image of parsing Server Time
18 Apr 2024 20:03:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 2D image of parsing
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Aug 2020 11:50:21
Message: <5f36b2bd$3@news.povray.org>
On 8/14/20 9:52 AM, Kima wrote:
> As I understand, POV-RAY calculates the location and texture of objects during
> the PARSING process.

Very roughly I suppose.

After parsing one would normally finalized bounding, then trace/render.

> I wonder if it is possible to calculate the pixels after the parsing process?
>
> The result should be a 2D image of the 3D scene, as no light is applied.
>
> For example, a sphere should be seen as a plain circle.

I'm confused as to what you are asking so I'll just say stuff for while.

- The whole structure for creating a 2d image of the 3d scene
essentially starts with shooting rays from camera through the pixel
positions of the final image. You can today limit trace depth to 1 but

- You'd not see a plain circle for a sphere unless the camera was
orthographic, certain cameras were ideally positioned or you were
somehow sampling a plane positioned among the 3d objects to form your image.

- Features like AA and others are built around shooting rays in
different ways.

---
To get something "perhaps" close to what you want you can render with:

povray scene.pov +q0

or

povray scene.pov -b +q0

to turn off most bounding (you need some of povr's changes to turn it
all off)

but it's still tracing rays into your scene using whatever camera you have.

Aside: The quality levels in the docs often work somewhat differently
than documented in v3.7 / v3.8, but 0 and 1 are OK I think.

Bill P.