POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : min_ and max_extent of an intersection object : min_ and max_extent of an intersection object Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:48:56 EDT (-0400)
  min_ and max_extent of an intersection object
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Jun 2020 02:43:36
Message: <5ef59918$1@news.povray.org>
I should have known of course, and instead of swearing by Eagle the
Bald, sacrificing nameless things to the Clipka idol and invoking the
good spirit of Saint William of the Pokorny (in that order) for a couple
of days, I should have opened the Grimoire and read:

"Note: This is not perfect, in some cases (such as CSG intersections and
differences or isosurfaces) the bounding box does not represent the
actual dimensions of the object."

The hell it doesn't!

So, I am left with the good old trial-and-error finding of the right
dimensions/locations of intersection objects. Not a big deal afaiac ;-)

Still, I have been wondering if there would be other, smart, ways to do
the same? And - just out of pure curiosity - why do min_extent and
max_extent not work with intersections or differences? Where isosurfaces
are concerned, I can imagine indeed...

--
Thomas