POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ignorance rules! : Re: Ignorance rules! Server Time
16 Apr 2024 15:37:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ignorance rules!
From: Thorsten
Date: 26 Jun 2020 01:43:35
Message: <5ef58b07$1@news.povray.org>
On 24.06.2020 19:53, William F Pokorny wrote:
> (4) - And, yep. I don't like the DBL, SNGL in our source code since
> v1.0. Or the PRECISE_FLOAT Christoph asked me to add to a pull request
> years back which then never got adopted. PRECISE_FLOAT now needs to be
> yanked at some point from povr and I'd like to drop DBL and SNGL too.
> Today you can find the bare 'foat/double' declarations in the source
> code depending on who wrote what. This makes it unlikely we can really
> ever change DBL to be anything but double, for example. Certainly not
> without a lot of type conversions even if, by some chance, everything
> works correctly.

Except, that is not why they are there: DBL is in the source code
because there was a time when you could not depend on "double" actually
doing what you wanted it to do. A time when certain CPUs had 80 bit
floating point numbers, and other odd things with software emulated
floating-point. In this world it was essentially that the floating-point
representation could be changed. These days are long over, but the code
just happens to be so old that it still has these leftovers.

Thorsten