POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I'm Back!? : Re: I'm Back!? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:57:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I'm Back!?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 16 May 2020 10:24:41
Message: <5ebff7a9$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/15/20 10:47 PM, Leroy wrote:...
Welcome back!

> I also wanted to know if there are any people who use my height field programs
> from my web site.(http://leroyw.byethost15.com/)
>
> I've use them and POV to make a road on Mars. Then I animated a road trip.

Not here, but would be interesting to see the annimation.

> While doing so I came upon a thing about natural splines. In order to make a
> complete oval path I had to use 8 values from the end of the spline in front of
> the basic spline & 8 values from the start of the spline at the end.
> I wonder if any one has come across this before?

What didn't work with fewer?

I'm not a great user of POV-Ray's splines, but you do sometimes have to
overlap on loops to get continuity or completeness. Never heard of
anyone needing 8 additional values of both ends though. More wouldn't
hurt I guess, so long as you are still picking off the loop values you
need from the middle of the spline.

> A word about animation: I did something that save my a lot of time rendering.
> I render the Road animation, it took 6 hours and it was just you flying around
> the track. Then I rendered a Car only with Apha on.(it took 45 min. to render.)
> Then I combine the two using images maps on in front of the other and render the
> final animation. (render tine 35 min.)

I'm not an animation guy, but cool trick.

> I was wondering how many people use this technique?
> And what other other techniques you find useful?

Glad you're back.

Bill P.