POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Blurred reflections : Re: Blurred reflections Server Time
18 Apr 2024 03:19:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blurred reflections
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 10 May 2020 11:24:13
Message: <5eb81c9d$1@news.povray.org>
On 2020-05-09 4:29 PM (-4), Mr wrote:
> "And" <49341109@ntnu.edu.tw> wrote:
>> Will blurred reflection integrate into official version one day? (this function
>> is too important)
> Things did evolve in the last two years. Now that Anti Aliasing method 3 is in
> the main POV-Ray trunk, the said "framework" is there. The syntax... almost as
> well, with things like the finish level fresnel paving the way to a similar
> approach for roughness maybe. My question is, since then, did any other branch
> than Uberpov also try to add this feature?

The knowledge base alludes to MegaPOV having some blurred reflection
capability, though I cannot find it in the MegaPOV documentation.  But
MegaPOV development terminated long before UberPOV was released.

Since development of UberPOV has wound down, I've found myself reverting
to RC3Metal from the Object Collection, which works with standard
POV-Ray.  What seems to work best for me with RC3Metal is to do a bunch
of EXR renders with different seeds in an animation loop, then read them
back as image maps and average them in a pigment_map.  To save time, I
save the photons for the first 3 to 5 frames, then reuse them round
robin for the remaining frames.  If there are no mutually reflecting
surfaces, I just use a single render with a high sample count.

Overall, UberPOV does a better job than RC3Metal, though, especially
with specular highlights.