POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii : RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii Server Time
25 Apr 2024 01:35:58 EDT (-0400)
  RoundEdge 2.0: unequal edge radii
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 29 Apr 2020 17:23:17
Message: <5ea9f045@news.povray.org>
RoundEdge 2.0 now has macros for rounded boxes with unequal edge radii.
As a bonus, a wrapper is added for POV-Ray's cryptic isosurface evaluate
feature.

In January of 2016, I posted an update to RoundEdge to correct a torus
artifact.  More recently, while working on RoundEdge 2.0, I noticed that
I had made the torus change in February 2015, and didn't post it until
after clipka mentioned the artifact in December that year.  Why did I
wait 350 days to post it?

I think it must have been that I was already working on the unequal edge
radii when I made the torus correction, and planned to roll out the fix
along with the new feature.  But the unequal edge radii turned out to
have far more variations than I anticipated, so I put the whole update
on the back burner--until clipka's comment induced me to rethink holding
up the torus correction.  A massive toothache in early 2015 may have
also been a factor in pausing development.

Well, it's 5 years later, and the new unequal edge macros are now
completed and uploaded.

http://lib.povray.org/searchcollection/index2.php?objectName=RoundEdge&contributorTag=Cousin%20Ricky

An isosurface elliptical toroid is still on my wish list.  Although I've
already implemented mesh toroids, they cannot be deformed or blobbed.
Back in 2008, Nicolas George proposed a function which, upon
implementation, I found unsatisfactory.  (He projected lines from the
origin through the central ellipse, which I had previously determined to
be a bad approach.)  In 2006, Sebastian H. posted a function that
appears to create the exact shape I desire, but I have been unable to
verify that the gradients are stable.  Stable gradients would be
essential for isosurface blobbing.