POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Livelihoods : Re: Livelihoods Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:39:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Livelihoods
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Apr 2020 02:49:26
Message: <5ea28bf6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 23/04/2020 om 13:21 schreef Bald Eagle:

> As TdG recently commented, millions of people's livelihoods are at stake.
>
> But it's _not_ "because of COVID-19" - but because of people's _response_ to it.
> Fear
> Panic
> Learned helplessness
> Lack of knowledge, skill, preparation, and ---
> Independence and self-sufficiency

The response is not really different from all the pandemic responses in
the past of the human species. We have however become more numerous and
more mobile on this planet, and any virus mindlessly responds greedily
to such favourable conditions.

> And I get that really uncomfortable feeling when I watch what is going on, given
> the real medical statistics, who the players are, the level of hype, the broad
> sweeping global participation, the origins of the virus, the slimy celebrities
> and massive international bill-to-trillion dollar corporations jumping on the
> bandwagon, the speed at which everything is being ramped up and _changed_, and
> the suggestions for what the "solutions" are, and WE "need" to do to "go back to
> normal".  It's all pretty Hegelian.

I think it is too early to get meaningful answers at this stage. A
serious analysis later on may give some. However, I am afraid little
will be changed as a result. I would hope personally that global
neo-liberal policies and economic responses were put under serious scrutiny.

> http://www.nommeraadio.ee/meedia/pdf/RRS/Rockefeller%20Foundation.pdf
> see page 18

Thanks for this. Interesting document. Am going to read it.

--
Thomas