POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Light & Shadows : Re: Light & Shadows Server Time
20 Apr 2024 12:34:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Light & Shadows
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Apr 2020 03:04:06
Message: <5ea13de6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 22/04/2020 om 20:24 schreef Norbert Kern:
> This idyllic (non-realistic) scene is the result of several months of work. It
> took that long because of an experiment.
>
> I was curious about what would happen when only looking long enough at each
> parts of the scene and so detecting not so good parts.
> In fact I detected one flaw after another for three long months.
> So I substituted, changed or retextured nearly all objects, some of them several
> times.

Absolutely gorgeous scene indeed. While your "experiment" contains the
danger of never finishing scene building, it is absolutely essential for
reaching any level of perfection. I do something less extreme than you
myself, with the result that over the last couple of years my production
has dramatically fallen ;-) There are other reasons too for this drop
but those are coming from RL... Anyway, this is a landmark image.

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.5ea0897b523527c5afdd13e10%40news.povray.org%3E/
> ).
>
> Rendering this version took more than 9 days and 43 GB of RAM were used.

I suppose continuous render or did you interrupt and continue (+c) a
couple of times?

> I worked several weeks on an atmosphere alone, but in the end all I did was
> adding a subtle fog effect.

I recognise that. ;-)

> The chief motiv of the image is the contrast of light and shadows as it is
> important in impressionistic painting or gothic architecture.
> I'll explore this topic in my next images more.

Cant wait...

> Beside this philosophical reasons it was important for me in a more technical
> sense as it is the first image since 15 years developed with assumed_gamma 1.
> I think, I'll stay at this since it is obviously possible to realize strong
> contrasts with assumed_gamma 1...

I can only approve.

> Happy rendering in difficult times,
> Norbert

Thanks! My thoughts go to the numerous who are threatened of losing
their livelihood because of covid19.

--
Thomas