POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Scripts for Controlling a Render Farm : Re: Scripts for Controlling a Render Farm Server Time
20 Apr 2024 00:46:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scripts for Controlling a Render Farm
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 30 Jan 2020 18:21:40
Message: <5e336504$1@news.povray.org>
Am 1/30/20 12:53 PM, also sprach Steve Anger:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> "Steve Anger" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> I've hit my first glitch in this process. Years ago I did something similar by
>>> having a script call povray.exe for each frame to render. povray.exe would not
>>> exit until the render of the frame was complete. After povray.exe returned the
>>> script could pick the next frame to render and continue. The current
>>> pvengine32/64.exe program runs asynchronously and returns immediately so the
>>> script can't tell when the render is finished. Also, once pvengine is open you
>>> can't call it again with another .ini file to start another frame.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> on a *nix-like box, your script could, for instance, use 'ps' to see whether
>> POV-Ray is still running.  maybe the Windows Ubuntu sub-system thing provides
>> such tools?
>>

>> regards, jr.
>
> Unfortunately the pvengine never terminates unless the user manually close it.

I have povconsole.exe which does what you want.  A gui-less version that
I drive from my renderfarm.  It's a little old since I switched my farm
to all linux and haven't needed to update it.
http://www.buckosoft.com/povclipse2/povray/

--
dik
Rendered 49,882,521,600 of 49,882,521,600 pixels (100%)