POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : building povmodeler? : Re: building povmodeler? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:52:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: building povmodeler?
From: Dick Balaska
Date: 3 Dec 2019 19:04:06
Message: <5de6f7f6$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/3/19 4:54 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> Dick Balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>> On 11/28/19 5:06 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> Hey Jr, are you still using qtpovray?  Do you see this missing text
>> I-beam nonsense with slakware?  (BE and I are both Mint; a sample size
>> of 1.)
>
> v quick try (haven't really gotten into using it yet[*]).  no, I do not see the
> "I-beam nonsense" :-)  (Slackware.  reliable.  ;-))  switching focus between
> panes, always get the insertion thing; line highlighting too works as it should.
>   v 3.80.0, built mid July last year.

Yeah, I expect that one to work.  It's something recent that made it go
kablooey.  It's hard because I switched from Ubuntu to Mint at about the
same time I noticed it.

> [*] if you could integrate eticre's code base with qtpovray, _that_ would change
> everything.  :-)

I played with this a bit more.  It's not as bad as I originally thought.
  I built a bathtub in it.

I'm thinking of two changes to it.
1) Integrate povrayws, my websocket povray.  Right now, he calls
/usr/bin/povray lots, waits for user to terminate it, and reads the
results.  povmodeler *could* just display the texture preview, rather
than go through those hoops to get it.

Or, I have libpovray.a built.  Maybe I should use that. (That would be
trickier because I'd need to make a public API out of the VFE in the pov
source tree.)

2) Exporting SDL is primitive.  Right now, after exporting a scene, one
must cut/paste the useful object into their own code.  I want
#declare Bathtub=union {...}
and then be able to use that file directly.

My files are organized so that I can either render them directly, or
include them in another file:

bathtub.inc

#version 3.7;
#ifndef (True)
   #declare True=1;
   #declare BATHTUBINC_TEST=1;
   camera { blah blah }
   light_source { test lights }
#end

#declare Bathtub = union {}

#ifdef (BATHTUBINC_TEST)
   object {Bathtub}
#end

--
dik
Rendered 40,182,220,800 of 49,882,521,600 pixels (80%)