POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : povray.conf contains evil directory : Re: povray.conf contains evil directory Server Time
23 Apr 2024 13:02:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray.conf contains evil directory
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 11 Oct 2019 04:13:33
Message: <5da039ad$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/10/19 2:30 AM, Dick Balaska wrote:
> Line 94 of the default unix povray.conf contains a reference to
> %INSTALL_DIR%/../../etc
>
> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/blob/master/unix/povray.conf
>
> This is the exact unix directory we *don't* want povray to read.
>
> This line should be removed.

On my Ubuntu system this resolves to /usr/local/etc for an actual system
install - which is OK I think. It's where the system wide povray.conf
and povray.ini files are installed and these I believe set the file i/o
access rights all users picking up the common install would get.

Am I missing something?

On your system are you ending up with /etc readable due a different tool
install directory structure, or?

Bill P.