POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 11 Feb 2019 05:09:24
Message: <5c6149d4@news.povray.org>
On 2/10/19 10:39 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 11.02.2019 um 00:30 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> For the inside test as used by the object pattern, it's as if an
>> internal structure/mechanism is corrupted in the freetype branch once
>> there is more than one character in the text string.  Once a
>> "text-union" is necessary internally(1) perhaps?

> That doesn't convince me at all. Remember, all we're using FreeType for
> is constructing prisms at parse time; if FreeType were to screw up, it

Up early to shovel snow... Agree. I wasn't trying to point at the
FreeType library, rather only at something being wrong in the freetype
branch.

> Single-character and multi-character test objects do indeed differ in
> one important aspect, namely that single-character text objects are
> instantiated as pure prisms, whereas multi-character text objects are
> instantiated as unions of prisms.
>
> I may have screwed up the way the prisms are assembled into a union -
> maybe I forgot to call some important post-processing step - and I
> wouldn't be too surprised if this manifested in insideness tests getting
> messed up. Reference to parent object not getting set, maybe?

This is my bet at the moment too - unless something has long been wrong
in how "union" handles prisms. I did get to some unions of simpler
shapes last night and those all work OK in all the recent active branches.

> ATM I'm busy with other stuff; I'll look back into this issue if you
> don't beat me to it.

OK. Thanks. I'm first going to flush out my media inside-test test cases
like the one I created here for the text shape and already had for other
simpler shapes touching the solver effort. I'd not previously done the
more complicated shapes like lathe and prism which have multiple spline
types and so balloon into a lot of work.