POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:50:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.1
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 3 Feb 2019 10:35:27
Message: <5c570a3f$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/3/19 4:04 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 17.01.2019 um 15:05 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>>> - Performance has degraded a bit, but I'm willing to accept this for
>>> the sake of extended functionality and easier maintenance.
>>>

>> Hmm, I'm surprised some by this. Are your test character strings
>> really short? In the existing text shape code all the characters ended
>> up more or less as one huge glyph as you know. As the string to the
>> text shape got large, performance slowed substantially.
>
> Actually, wading through the old code for unrelated reasons, I just
> noticed that this isn't true: The old `text` primitive has actually been
> a CSG union all along, with one child per character.

Hmm. Not my recollection or experience. I was focused on inside tests if
those were perhaps done differently than intersections. The glyph loop
range testing I added helped regular intersection performance too, but
less.

Anyway. I'll keep what you saw in mind. Possible the code work I did was
pointless, and the performance gains seen false, for reasons of
self-foolery.

I'm maintaining my text branch with the thought the new text object
might also be too slow for what I want. Means, if motivated, I can again
do performance comparisons to the 'old' text object as well as your new
one off master, but, I probably won't so long as the new is fast enough.

Bill P.