POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.2 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.2 Server Time
23 Apr 2024 10:10:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-x.freetype.2
From: clipka
Date: 17 Jan 2019 21:00:44
Message: <5c41334c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.01.2019 um 23:32 schrieb jr:

> in fewer words, yes, you intend to introduce a syntax where 'FONT_REFERENCE'
> (and perhaps more) will depend on the font's source.  folly, methinks..

And why would you say so?

When specifying a font via file name, you always get a single file,
which typically(*) contains just one single font face; e.g. `arial.ttf`
would give you the Arial Regular font face, while `arialbd.ttf` would
give you the Arial Bold font face. So `text { ttf "arial.ttf" bold ...
}" would make no sense.

When specifying a font via font name, you actually name the font family,
e.g. "Arial", and have to provide additional information to select which
font face of the family you want to load.

(*)As far as /font collections/ are concerned, i.e. files which contain
multiple fonts, I'll still have to do some research to figure out what
that even means and how they work. If it turns out that selectors like
`bold` and/or `italic` are useful for font collections as well, the
syntax for filename-referenced fonts will be extended accordingly. But
not now.

As for /faux bold/ fonts - i.e. bold-looking fonts synthesized "on the
fly" using mathematical transformations, rather than having been
separately constructed by a font designer - if I implement such a
feature I'll probably provide a separate syntax for it, to give the user
full contropl over the magnitude of the effect. Such syntax would be
available independent of the font source, so you could e.g. reference
the bold variant of a system font and synthesize an even bolder font
from it.

As for /faux italic/ (which is actually a misnomer, since such a font
would be an oblique rather than italic font) such an effect can already
be achieved using a shearing transformation on the resulting object.