POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 06:58:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 16 Jan 2019 09:33:58
Message: <5c3f40d6$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/15/19 8:21 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
> At the very least, it seems logical to increment the line count.  I don't think
> it would be necessary--or, at this late date, prudent--to assume a certain
> number of lines per page.

Not sure. The common unix line counting command shows the line count
(and character) as if the form feed and vertical tab characters are just
spaces.

Editors seem to be different. GVim (1) is showing ^L and ^K stand in
sequences and then columns after in each line as a range, 10-11 say,
instead of a fixed 10. Gedit shows single undefined unicode characters
breaking the mono-space width. Others tried create a mono-space stand at
least indicating some odd character is present and the visual
representation stays aligned. Expect some of the editor behavior is
driven by the font in use. Though in trying a few different fonts with
gvim, fixed and not, it is always showing the ^L or ^K sequence and some
visual miss-alignment.

(1) - all vi based editors I expect

> [...]
>
>> (1) - Do I admit my earliest college programming classes used teletype
>> computer terminals... Ah, the noise. :-)
>
> You make me feel young, now.  I had VT-100s in college.
>
> Although at my co-op job, I actually had to deal with punched cards and IBM's
> JCL.

JCL :-). How do we want the file xyz to physically exist on the drive...
I worked with it a fair bit early in my work career.