POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104 Server Time
16 Apr 2024 16:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 15 Jan 2019 06:03:57
Message: <5c3dbe1d$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/14/19 3:54 PM, clipka wrote:
> Am 14.01.2019 um 18:23 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> One of our standard shipped scene files fails due a form feed
>> character '0c' very near the end the end of the file. That scene is:
>>
>> ..../distribution/scenes/objects/superel2.pov
>>
>> and here I think we just need to update that scene file.
>
> Page breaks used to be common in ASCII files a while ago; I feel somehow
> inclined to just allow them as whitespace.
>
> The only thing that's holding me back is that I'm not exactly sure what
> effect they should have on column and line counting.

Yeah, suppose they could be as whitespace. Then we'd want to provide the
same treatment for some other printer(system bell?) oriented encodings
too if you go that route. Vertical-tab comes to mind & expect there are
a few more.

Even in the old days it was printer dependent in terms of real world
space(1) so not sure treating those special characters as something
other than a single white space makes sense. I say this, though, not
knowing what the POV-Ray windows editor does which such characters?

As for having these kind of characters in sample scene files we ship,
suppose I'd argue they shouldn't exist. In my editor/font I get some odd
fill-in character for it. I'm not sure what others might or might not see.

Bill P.

(1) - Do I admit my earliest college programming classes used teletype
computer terminals... Ah, the noise. :-)