POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104 : Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:27:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-alpha.10011104
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 Jan 2019 12:15:46
Message: <5c3cc3c2$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/14/19 10:54 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 14.01.2019 um 16:18 schrieb William F Pokorny:
>
>> Just noticed another interesting thing in the tests that did run. The
>> attached file has not parser cleanly since v3.6.1. Generating the
>> following error with v3.7:
>
> I presume you mean to say that it worked in v3.6.1, but not in v3.7,
> correct?

Yes, I did! You are getting good at understand my gibberish. :-)

>> It parses and runs cleanly again with the updated parser. Intentional?
>
> No, just a lucky punch. Turns out sometimes throwing away and rewriting
> old code fixes things you didn't even know were broken.

Suppose my question was too whether we should consider the 3.7/3.8
behavior broken - you seem to be saying it was.

Folks can again cause parsing to separate values by using extra decimal
points in numeric strings. Has me wondering what might happen with typos
like 1..2 (not tried it). Or where we specify lists of values separated
by commas or not. Can the latter get scrambled in ways that are confusing?

I'll go try some things I guess to better understand what can again
happen with this reversion in parser behavior.

Bill P.