POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Boost library error : Re: Boost library error Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Boost library error
From: clipka
Date: 12 Jan 2019 09:39:40
Message: <5c39fc2c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 12.01.2019 um 01:22 schrieb DanielM:

> I have been trying to install povray for a while now on the stampede2 cluster
> (TACC) and I keep getting the following error:
>
> configure: error: We could not detect the boost libraries (version 1.37 or
> higher). If you have a staged boost library (still not installed) please specify
> $BOOST_ROOT in your environment and do not give a PATH to --with-boost option.
> If you are sure you have boost installed, then check your version number looking
> in <boost/version.hpp>. See http://randspringer.de/boost for more documentation.

 From the message I'm inferring that you are trying to install POV-Ray
v3.7, as the current v3.8 development versions require at least boost 1.38.

First of all, make sure you're trying v3.7.0.8; earlier versions of v3.7
have known issues when it comes to building on modern environments.

You may also want to give v3.8 a try - it's still in development, but
there is some chance that the issue happens to has been eliminated there.

> I saw this was posted before with some sort of
> solution (a very vague solution) and nothing has worked. I see many people with
> this same error.

I'd expect the Stampede 2 cluster to provide a sufficiently non-standard
environment that the root cause for the symptoms may differ from
anything other POV-Ray users have experienced in the past.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If the above suggestions don't help, maybe the most promising way to go
would be to kidnap(*) an Automake expert and force them to take a few
good looks at our Unix build process. I know I for one won't be of much
help, being primarily a Windows jockey.

(*Don't. I've heard that's illegal in some contries.)

In any case, we'll need to know the exact version you're trying to
build, and the full contents of the config.log file. The console output
of both ./prebuild.sh and the configure script might also be helpful.

We don't know what exactly we're looking for here, so every scrap of
information might be valuable.