POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 character set handling : Re: v3.8 character set handling Server Time
18 Apr 2024 14:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 character set handling
From: clipka
Date: 9 Jan 2019 20:06:40
Message: <5c369aa0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.01.2019 um 20:49 schrieb clipka:

> (5) Text primitives will use UCS encoding unless specified otherwise.
> To simplify conversion of old scenes, the text primitive syntax will be
> extended with a syntax allowing for more control over the lookup process:
>
>      #declare MyText = "a\u20ACb";
>      text { ttf "sym.ttf" cmap { 3,0 charset windows1252 } MyText }

I think I will change that as following:

     text { ttf "sym.ttf" cmap { 3,0 charset 1252 } MyText }

with a few select charset numbers defined; most notably:

     1252    Windows code page 1252
             (for obvious reasons)

     10000   Mac OS Roman
             (because Windows supports this as code page 10000)

     61440   MS legacy symbol font (Wingdings etc.) remapping to
             Unicode Private Use Area U+F000..U+F0FF
             (because 61440 = hex F000)