POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Experimental v3.8.0-x.tokenizer.9960461 : Re: Experimental v3.8.0-x.tokenizer.9960461 Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:00:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Experimental v3.8.0-x.tokenizer.9960461
From: clipka
Date: 10 Dec 2018 10:39:21
Message: <5c0e88a9$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.12.2018 um 14:10 schrieb jr:
> hi,

>> Am 09.12.2018 um 16:09 schrieb jr:
>>> it's quite a bit slower than the previous x.tokenizer version (from 5576 to 6095
>>> seconds for the first test), also shows a slight increase in "K tokens"
>>> processed for same scene.
>> The token count thing worries me a bit. I couldn't care less if I
>> inadvertently introduced a slight change to the rules for how the number
>> of tokens is counted as a side effect of some other sensible change, but
>> I can't think of any recent change that might have such an effect; are
>> you sure it's not simply an artifact of the way you observe this number?
>
> there's more than one way to read it? :-)

As far as I'm aware, POV-Ray for Windows only reports the token count in
the status line, so the count disappears as soon as the render proper
starts.

I take it you're not running Windows then. (Sorry, I tend to not keep
track of who runs which OS.)

> curiously, the alpha reports the "no objects in scene" warning one line earlier
> than the x.tokenizer versions.

Not much of a surprise there. Line number counting has been rewritten
from scratch, and may differ in how it behaves at the end of the file.

>> That said, the main focus of this version is on furthering my
>> understanding of what's left of the legacy parser code. To that end,
>> I've peppered the code with checks to verify some assumptions that may
>> or may not hold true, and what I'm really interested in right now is
>> reports of cases where they don't. Those should manifest as parse errors.
>
> ah, I might not be much help here, I have no code requiring earlier than 3.6,
> still, I'll keep using the latest x.tokenizer as the day-to-day version.

Sorry, misunderstanding I guess. The term "legacy" above wasn't
referring to language constructs (as in e.g. v3.7 vs v3.0 scene
language), but rather the parser itself (as in alpha vs. x.tokenizer
parser code).