POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.8 help file update : Re: v3.8 help file update Server Time
23 Apr 2024 06:35:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.8 help file update
From: clipka
Date: 3 Nov 2018 09:14:30
Message: <5bdd9f36$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.11.2018 um 11:49 schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> On 11/2/18 11:24 AM, Kenneth wrote:
>> I *could* be doing something wrong on my end-- that's always a
>> possibility, ha--
>>   but I don't think so.
>
> since i'm not a doze user take what i say with a grain of salt... iirc
> this /may/ be a help file naming issue, or something to do with the
> post-processing that clipka does to turn the docs into chm format

I could not generate the symptoms here with the original generated file;
I had to download the file from GitHub to re-produce the issue.

Turns out green is on the right track: The symptom observed is a side
effect of downloading the file from the internet. This sets an NTFS file
attribute telling other software that the file may be unsafe to use. I'm
not exactly sure what mechanism kicks in next, but my conjecture is that
the help file viewer refuses to display the HTML pages embedded in the
help file because they try to load a small JavaScript code snippet.

Unblocking the file (see my other post) solves the issue here.