POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : shiny plastic : Re: shiny plastic Server Time
25 Apr 2024 18:35:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shiny plastic
From: Stephen
Date: 13 Oct 2018 15:05:00
Message: <5bc241dc$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/10/2018 14:33, Bald Eagle wrote:
> "David Kraics" <bar### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> Can anyone suggest a good finish to render a television that has the "shiny
>> plastic" on the front? I tried the finishes in the metals.inc file but they
>> reflect too well.
>
> A super quick way to get that "plastic look" is to just add some specular
> reflection to your texture.
>
> texture {pigment {Blue} finish {specular 0.4}} will give you that shiny look.

Good advice from Alain and Bald Eagle.
I generally have the oposite problem. Making an object not look like
plastic. :)

> from there you can adjust that, and add the reflection keyword to the finish
> block - because I'm speculating that your TV is black plastic.

Don't start with a reflection value of 1 but start low and work your way
up. I find it easier to see the differences that way.

> And if you really want to see a big change in how your texture looks - don't
> fiddle with the texture, change what's _around it_ since it has a huge effect on
> the reflective surface.

This is so true for any scene that has reflective objects.

> A very quick way to get rather astonishing results is just to use an HDRI light
> probe (downloadable for free on the web) and some radiosity.   There's an
> include file - rad_def.inc in the POV-Ray distribution that you can use.

Bald Eagle is right but I would leave the radiosity to the end of
building your scene as it can add quite a bit of time to the rendering.

For testing your TV material. Create a sphere with a no image flag. This
will allow the reflections of the sphere to be shown in the reflections
of your TV. Convert a HDRi to a png and create a material using this and
attach it to the sphere. The reflections should show up.
Aside, some HDR images are in a cruciform format which should be used
with a box not a sphere.

You can download some HDRIs from here:
https://hdrihaven.com/hdris/category/?c=all

--