POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled : Re: X Windows display: disabled Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:44:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X Windows display: disabled
From: clipka
Date: 13 Oct 2018 05:09:06
Message: <5bc1b632$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.10.2018 um 22:16 schrieb jr:
> hi,

>>> given the threads issue you mentioned, maybe a different library altogether?  > >
I think Tk would "fit the bill" i
> n many respects.
>>
>> Don't come anywhere /near/ the POV-Ray code with C++/Tk! That thing is
>> an abomination, a Frankensteinian monstrosity.
>
> lol.  (that sounds almost like .. allergic)
>
> well I can't "speak" C++ so really cannot comment.  as component in a C program
> though, Tcl (and Tk) are pretty straightforward wrt using.  there are of course
> "problems", like (n)curses and Tcl wrangling over who controls the std* streams,
> otoh, Tk (with Tcl, Perl, whatever) runs on all platforms.  (I'd love to know
> though what makes it "monsterous").

The C++/Tk authors boast that their library pretty much preserves the
syntax familiar from Tcl/Tk.

The Tcl syntax is /very/ different from common C/C++, and to achieve
this feat they used some features of the C++ language in manners that
would make every sane C++ programmer's skin crawl.

C++/Tk is, in every sense, a joke takem too far.

I didn't even know C bindings for Tk existed; maybe they are more
faithful to the target language.

I'm not sure how Tcl as a component in a C program would look like.
After all, last time I checked, Tcl is a language, not a library.