POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X Windows display: disabled : Re: X Windows display: disabled Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X Windows display: disabled
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 2 Oct 2018 15:19:52
Message: <5bb3c4d8$1@news.povray.org>
Le 02/10/2018 à 20:27, jr a écrit :
> hi,
> frankly, I'm not convinced it's worth the dependency.  previous versions had a
> "proper" X window[*], and I do not understand how abandoning that made
> "maintainability" easier.  all I see is a (big) library aimed at games
> developers, none of its provisions used, except for the creation of a single
> window.  </rant>
>

> [*] why can that (Xlib) code not simply be ported?

Because handling at Xlib level means dealing with every possible
colour-depth and colour-system, nearly by hand.

There is B&W display, Palette display, True-color display, and most with
multiple depths for colour (ever seen a colour encoded on 1 byte (3 bits
for Red, Green, 2 for blue... well I did in a previous life)... or size
of palette (which can be system wide or application wide), fixed palette
or user-updatable palette...

the D option used to have a lot of option, it was a nightmare that SDL
is handling now.

And if I remember correctly, the dependencies on X are a bit painful too
 (11R6, 11R7 and now modules are released individually, there was R7.0,
R7.1, R7.2, ... to R7.6 in december 2012, last full at R7.7)

You can handle the X11 you have on your system, but for a distribution,
it is painful to support all of them.