POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Replaced animation with lower res. : Re: Replaced animation with lower res. Server Time
16 Apr 2024 15:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Replaced animation with lower res.
From: dick balaska
Date: 7 Jul 2018 14:44:37
Message: <5b410a15$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/07/2018 11:56 AM, Chuck wrote:

> Don't know if it is good practice but, if possible, I want to maintain all of
> the information present in the original rendered frames.

I think that is every animator's goal.

> The originals as
> produced by PovRay are PNGs. Then since I use VirtualDub to produce an
> uncompressed AVI from the frame sequence I assume that all of the original bits
> are still present (at the cost of a huge file).
>
> Now I use ProShow to load in the AVI file and to add music and perhaps an
> introductory black slide. Then there are many output options: BlueRay, DVD,
> AVCHD, MPEG-4 (1080p (full HD), 4K UHD, and others.
>
> There is another box that can be checked that selects either 30fps normal, high,
> or extreme quality. The normal quality is checked. Extreme quality doubles or
> triples the size of the output file.

I don't know "extreme", but normal and high are standard.  High gives
better compression and better resolution at the expense of CPU power.
These days, I see no reason to use normal.  (High was for the original
720p HD.)

> SmugMug then re-encodes the file for presentation so I don't know if selecting
> normal quality really does any good.
>
> There were 1268 original frames produced. VLC shows the length of the animation
> to be 2:06 minutes which at 30 FPS could use unique 3780 frames. I recall that
> VirtualDub created the AVI at 10 FPS so the math seems to match up.

I see. Yes, 10 FPS is definitely choppy speed.  You can go as low as 20
FPS (23.976 is Blu-Ray speed) and look ok.

> An interestine experiment would be to render 3780 frames and have VirtualDub
> create an AVI to run at 30 FPS.

That would be an interesting experiment.
My wild guess is an 80% larger file.  3x the frames but 50% is black.

If you are comfortable with the command line, you should try ffmpeg.
It's pretty much the standard these days.

> If reading between the lines above leads you to the conclusion that I am a
> neophyte to video you would be correct.

Aren't we all.
You seem to have a good handle on what you're doing.  That puts you
light years ahead of (100 - ℓP)% of people.

> I set the options on SmugMug to limit the res of the download to try to keep
> pilfering down but if it is useful I could check into creating another gallery
> and allow a download of the "fullm as created mp4 file".

I would be very interested in seeing your vid with a higher frame rate. :)

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)