POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Double Pendulum Animation : Re: Double Pendulum Animation Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:06:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Double Pendulum Animation
From: kurtz le pirate
Date: 7 Jul 2018 11:08:33
Message: <5b40d771@news.povray.org>
Le 02/07/2018 à 14:53, JimT a écrit :
> I'm guessing what you were passing between frames were the two angles and
> angular velocities in order to do a numerical solution of the ODEs.

yes and the last <x,y> position

> However, I think your numerical solution scheme is adding energy. You start off with
the
> balls both stationary and horizontal. Later in the motion BOTH balls are above
> the horizontal. A numerical scheme to conserve energy is surprisingly difficult.
> What scheme did you use?

yes, energy is used but... it's not MY scheme.
In this example, I just adapted the L3 Processing code to POVRay SDL.
And, has i say on my web page, this not a real simaultion.

> Even more surprisingly, there are complex double pendulum motions that are
> periodic, many that are symmetric, but several that are asymmetric. Would you
> like some data for one (or more) of those motions?

If systems of equations defining motion are not too complicated, why not.

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise