POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Subsurface scattering : Re: Subsurface scattering Server Time
16 Apr 2024 08:12:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Subsurface scattering
From: Alain
Date: 8 Feb 2018 16:15:48
Message: <5a7cbe04$1@news.povray.org>
Le 18-02-06 à 20:55, Kenneth a écrit :
> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>
>> Here are my global_settings:
>>
>> global_settings
>> {
>> [snip]
>>
>>   subsurface
>>   {
>>    samples 5, 5
>>    radiosity true
>>   }
>> }
>>

> I have only limited experience with SSLT so far, but your samples count should
> be much higher (try 100,100); otherwise you'll still see some linear-like
> stochastic noise or blotches. I *think* the noise appearance has no relation to
> the size of the object or its distance from the camera; it shows up as the same
> 'size' in the render no matter what.

The dafault values are 20, 20. You can reduce that if you can live with
some graininess. In my experience, something around 10 to 15 tend to
give acceptable results.
If you have very low translucency, or very large relative to the size of
the object, you may be able to get away with smaller values.
Also, when taking radiosity into account, you probably need to take more
samples.