POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : not nice(1) : Re: not nice(1) Server Time
23 Apr 2024 18:47:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: not nice(1)
From: clipka
Date: 31 Dec 2017 08:50:29
Message: <5a48eb25$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.12.2017 um 14:00 schrieb clipka:
> Am 31.12.2017 um 06:39 schrieb dick balaska:
>> On 12/30/2017 10:04 PM, clipka wrote:
>>
>>> CPU power ffmpeg makes no use of for any of the above reasons is free
>>> for the taking.
>>
>> Remove ffmpeg from the equation. If povray isn't running, ffmpeg uses
>> 800%. It was an example.
>> The place I really see this is: povrayws, which runs at user priority
>> under qtpov, gets slightly *less* horsepower than povray, which is
>> running at nice -19 under the renderfarm. povrayws should be using close
>> to 800%, not 350ish%, while povray should drop to near 0%.
>
> Try pitting one instance of genuine POV-Ray at niceness -19 against
> another one at niceness 0. That's the litmus test.
>
> If that runs as expected, there's something else in the equation that's
> not working properly. Maybe povrayws has a lot of I/O overhead?

Also, in the linux standard scheduler (CFS) there's group scheduling,
which might be relevant in your case: If group scheduling is enabled
together with autogrouping, the nice value "has an effect only for
scheduling relative to other processes executed in the same session
(typically: the same terminal window)." [man sched(7)]