POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : FOG with turbulence-- animation tests : Re: FOG with turbulence-- animation tests Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:02:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: FOG with turbulence-- animation tests
From: clipka
Date: 9 Dec 2017 23:03:09
Message: <5a2cb1fd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 09.12.2017 um 22:40 schrieb Kenneth:

> The various fog files were written quite a long time ago (I assume, although
> there are no origination dates in the files themselves.) Rendering scenes back
> then was a slow process.
>
> Modern computers are SO much more powerful and faster now-- so might a re-think
> of fog's basic code/paradigm be possible or appropriate? Not as true media of
> course, but some type of better-thought-out approach (possibly a bit more
> expensive, computation-wise), to mitigate some of fog's current limitations? My
> own thoughts go in the 'camera projection' direction-- which would probably
> require a good deal more sophistication than Rune's Illusion approach-- but
> that's just one naive(?)idea.

Not sure what you mean by "camera projection" in this context, but right
now I'm rather skeptical.

I'm quite sure a more sophisticated turbulent fog would really need
multiple samples along the ray -- which is pretty much what media does.
So since a lot of thought has already been put into that feature, I
wouldn't be surprised if a revamped fog feature would turn out inferior
to media in quality without providing any benefit in efficiency at all.