POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05 : Re: SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 12:15:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SUGGESTION: Hollow 0.05
From: clipka
Date: 1 Dec 2017 07:29:05
Message: <5a214b11$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.12.2017 um 12:03 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> the "hollow" keyword makes a shape hollow. My suggestion is, to make it
> possible to add behind this keyword a small number that specifies a
> "wall thickness".
>
> Example:
>
> sphere
> {
>  0.0, 1.0
>  hollow 0.05
> }

I guess you're misunderstanding the keyword (don't worry, everyone does).

When you specify `hollow on`, this changes nothing except that media
effects are enabled inside the object (both the object's own media, as
well as the media of any other objects it is embedded in, and the
general atmospheric media).

When you specify `hollow off` (or nothing) instead, the object will
knock out any media effects (including its own), effectively creating a
"bubble" of perfectly clear air (as far as media is concerned).

> This would make the sphere hollow but keeps an inner wall thickness of
> 0.05 units.

That's technically impossible.

(Well, strictly speaking something along the lines may be possible for
spheres, but it can't be generalized to arbitrary primitives.)