POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : qtpov : Re: qtpov Server Time
25 Apr 2024 04:01:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: qtpov
From: clipka
Date: 11 Nov 2017 15:53:25
Message: <5a076345$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.11.2017 um 21:15 schrieb dick balaska:
> On 11/11/2017 08:04 AM, clipka wrote:
>
>> Uh... wait!
>> Unix binary?
>> If you go for Qt, then by all means please make sure the system in its
>> entirety is portable.
>> I'd presume that if you really go for separating the GUI from the
>> program that renders scenes, this means writing a new Qt-based instance
>> of the latter.
>>

> A Qt based render engine? Why?  There is already a cross platform render
> engine. I want to leverage that as much as possible.
> What I'm doing is a separate source tree for qtpov. This is the gui.
> The gui launches povray (or povconsole.exe) and connects to it via a
> websocket. Then the gui can instruct povray to start a render and
> receive the 5 streams and in-progress graphics info.

No, not a Qt based render engine -- just a Qt based program (which acts
as a wrapper for the actual render engine) that you invoke from the GUI
to render scenes.

It appears to me that the way you're approaching it, that would be a
replacement for both the Unix command-line version as well as
povconsole.exe.

The reason being that ideally the system as a whole should run on /any/
platform supported by Qt, not just those for which we /happen/ to
already have a command-line version of POV-Ray.

In terms of source files, this means that your system should compile and
run fine without any of the files residing in `unix`, `windows`,
`vfe/unix` or `vfe/win`, and ultimately even without any of the files in
`platform/unix` or `platform/windows` (though these last two are
probably comparatively easy to fix further down the road, by
establishing some `platform/qt` instead).