POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : orthographic camera and conic_sweep object : Re: orthographic camera and conic_sweep object Server Time
23 Apr 2024 04:37:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: orthographic camera and conic_sweep object
From: clipka
Date: 5 Nov 2017 18:28:55
Message: <59ff9eb7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.11.2017 um 00:09 schrieb clipka:

>> So , why must I add a small offset in the camera setting to get the expected
>> result instead of dark slopes for the pyramid ?
>
> I have no idea... yet. All I can say is that William is on the right
> track, in that POV-Ray apparently fails to find intersections of the
> camera ray with the prism's sides for no obvious reason. Presumably this
> happens whenever the ray is perpendicular to the "base" plane of the prism.
>
> Might be a misplaced bailout when the ray is parallel to the prism's
> sides, which would be ok for standard prisms but out of place for
> tapered prisms.

... and that's /exactly/ what's happening. While tapered prisms use
their own dedicated code path for intersection testing, it appears to
have been created using copy-and-paste - with adaptations, obviously,
but there's indeed an "is it parallel to all sides?" bailout test that
someone forgot to strip from the tapered prisms code path.

Preparing a fix.