POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.misc : nocomment : Re: nocomment Server Time
19 Apr 2024 10:49:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: nocomment
From: clipka
Date: 15 Oct 2017 12:13:26
Message: <59e38926$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.10.2017 um 14:42 schrieb Kenneth:
> jr <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>

>> sorry, my bad.  forgot to state it's for GNU/Linux systems, although, if
>> you do run something like 'cygwin' or 'mingw', that should work too.
>>

> :-(
>
> Well, there are two routes I can go (or both, if I ever have the time!):
> Learning to use cygwin, and/or learning to use Visual Studio-- both of which are
> Greek to me at the moment, sad to say. (I've never 'compiled' anything-- very
> embarrassing.) But I *have* been trying to familiarize myself with what both of
> those tools do, per your suggestion :-) I've recognized for a long time that I
> need to 'bite the bullet' and learn how to write and compile at least *small*
> programs (on Windows)--to get my feet wet, so to speak, and to banish that
> daunting feeling of "Oh, that looks to be SO hard." Of course, that's the way I
> felt when I first came across POV-Ray-- which now seems easy and natural!
>
> Practice, practice, practice...

Windows 10 users might also be able to resort to the "Windows subsystem
for Linux"; from what I've heard, as of the Fall Creators Update it's an
official part of the system. (Prior to that it was an optional
beta-stage component that required separate installation.)

The subsystem is effectively an Ubuntu system, and is confirmed ok for
compiling and running POV-Ray, so it should be good enough for
"nocomment" as well.