POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : POV-Ray 3.7 sometimes omits media photons : Re: POV-Ray 3.7 sometimes omits media photons Server Time
23 Apr 2024 23:36:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7 sometimes omits media photons
From: clipka
Date: 8 Jul 2017 04:15:59
Message: <596094bf$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.07.2017 um 09:07 schrieb clipka:
> Am 07.07.2017 um 20:10 schrieb omniverse:
>> Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
>>> See thread in p.b.i.  The scene uses two light sources, one to trace a
>>> cylindrical parallel beam through two prisms and across a room, and
>>> another, with media interaction turned off, to light the scene.  The
>>> latter light has a looks_like for what reason I don't remember.  (This
>>> was 12 years ago!)
>>>
>>> When the scene is rendered as an animation, the looks_like is omitted in
>>> frame 2.
>>
>> Don't know the reason behind it but simply making the looks_like sphere hollow
>> allows the photons to show.
>
> Well, /I/ know the reason behind it now ;)
>
> During refactoring for 3.7.0, a bug was introduced that may cause
> objects in the same CSG group to mess with each others' `hollow` flag,
> with the last object winning. In this case that happened to be the
> non-hollow `looks_like` object.

... actually, no: The bug wasn't introduced in v3.7; it was a
pre-existing condition.

The reason your scene renders fine in v3.6 is that the symptoms were
ever so slightly different: Instead of the last object, it was the first
object that won the `hollow` flag war.

Place the box after the light source, and it will render fine in v3.7
but break in v3.6.

Can someone please open a GitHub issue for this one? It may need some
work before it can be fixed.