POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : How to uninstall? : Re: How to uninstall? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 12:50:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to uninstall?
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 2 Jul 2017 23:46:00
Message: <5959bdf8$1@news.povray.org>

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1510.best-practices-using-a-separate-account-for-admin-tasks.aspx

http://www.lbmcinformationsecurity.com/blog/are-your-administrators-using-admin-accounts-for-everything

> (1) What does this (the question whether it's best practice or nor) have
> to do with whether, if you follow it, you should be aware of its drawbacks?

I have installed dozens of programs over the past decade. and this
"drawback" only occurs with POV-Ray!

> (3) What amazes /me/ is the fact that /you/ don't really understand the
> background of that best practice.
>
> The articles cited are /not/ making a case for regular end users having
> an extra dedicated admin account -- they both are making a case for
> professional admins having an extra dedicated non-admin account.
>
> As the latter, the practice is still valid. As the former, it is pretty
> much obsoleted by the UAC introduced with Windows Vista.

Ridiculous!

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/standard-accounts-stop-malware,news-18326.html

>> There is no Access Control popup during installation. All you get is a
>> generic error regarding "agpl-3.0.txt". There is also no Access Control
>> popup when trying to access the include files. You are simply denied
>> access to that folder.
>
> There /would/ be a UAC popup if your regular user account was equipped
> with the privilege of obtaining admin privileges via UAC. But since
> you're trying to run the installer with a locked-down user account,
> you're denying yourself that route.
>
> (Note that as of Vista, as a regular user you do not /have/ admin
> privileges anymore during regular operation. Only when you confirm a UAC
> dialog do you /temporarily gain/ those privileges, and only for the
> program in question, such as an installer.)

Every other program ever has asked me for privileges during installation
if needed. the simple fact is that the POV-Ray installer is not doing
so! And WTF is a "privilege of obtaining admin privileges"? You just
made this up.

Mike