POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : POV-Ray 3.7.1 Release Candidate 1 ready for testing : Re: POV-Ray 3.7.1 Release Candidate 1 ready for testing Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:32:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray 3.7.1 Release Candidate 1 ready for testing
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 25 Jun 2017 00:31:16
Message: <594f3c94$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-06-23 04:17 PM (-4), clipka wrote:
> **IMPORTANT NOTE:** In contrast to the betas, the Windows version of the
> release candidate does NOT make any attempt to co-exist with v3.7.0. If
> you intend to keep v3.7.0 around, make sure to back up the binaries, or
> install v3.7.1 in a different location.

I am an active Object Collection contributor, and I test my modules
across different POV-Ray versions.  Some differences between v3.7.0 and
v3.7.1 are significant enough that I wish to keep v3.7.0 around.

Regarding the Unix version, I did *not* take your earlier suggestion to
run the configure script with the --prefix= parameter.  (See "Peaceful
coexistence between 3.7.0 and 3.7.1" in p.t.tutorials.)  I understand
this to mean that my beta installs have already been storing data where
v3.7.0 looks for them.  (I've already noticed the changes in the user
manual.)  Does this mean that the hack I used to keep both versions
coexisting should continue to work?

> You may also want to back up the
> include files first.

Done.  So far, the only incompatibility I've noticed is with ior.inc.

> Also, there is no way to prevent the installations
> from sharing most settings.

Theoretically, I have no worries there, but I have yet to address your
response to my troubles with INI files.