POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : green gas cloud on checkered plane : Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane Server Time
19 Apr 2024 00:29:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: green gas cloud on checkered plane
From: Stephen
Date: 13 Jun 2017 03:45:23
Message: <593f9813$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/13/2017 8:03 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 12-6-2017 23:08, Stephen wrote:
>

>> That is true. I remember years ago when I was using billboards. I put
>> planks behind them to hold them up. :)
>
> Never too careful! ;-)

Safety comes first. :)

>> I mentioned it because at one point I could see the cloud passing
>> through one of the buildings. But thinking about it that wouldn't help.
>> You would need a particle system to get the cloud to move around it.
>
> Yes indeed. Differencing the buildings won't do anything. Which reminds
> me that the buildings here remind me of the City7 macros by Mike
> Williams. I wonder where those originated from. I looked but could not
> find their origin any more; not from Mike's site at least. I have them
> in my own system but others might be interested.

They do look familiar. I was thinking of Chris Colefax's City Include
File. But it is so long since I used it all I can remember is that they
were very rectangular.

Another thought that struck me would be to use Runes Particle System to
make the cloud container. It can flow around obstacles.

>> The cloud reminds me of gas burning. Years ago before the UK oil and gas
>> platforms exported the hydrocarbon gas to shore. It was flared off.
>> I've spent hours looking at it, almost hypnotic. Especially at night.
>>

> Those were the days when oil and gas were thought inexhaustible... :-/

Hmm! not really. It did take a few years to lay a gas pipeline after
putting down the oil pipeline. Remember in the early days it was very
expensive and there was not that much revenue coming in. Unlike the way
Norway developed their oil and gas. The UK gave tax concessions to
private companies to develop the oil and gas fields. And their bean
counters were more interested in profits.

--

Regards
     Stephen