POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Some help needed : Re: Some help needed Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some help needed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 20 May 2017 09:24:46
Message: <5920439e$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/20/2017 04:05 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 18.05.2017 um 20:25 schrieb clipka:
>
>> Currently, our approach at identifying the version of the installed
>> OpenEXR library is based on the `pkg-config` tool, which does not seem
>> to be available on all systems (example: Mac OS X darwin 15.6.0).
>
> I have to correct myselfg on this one: pkg-config apparently /is/
> available on Mac OS X darwin 15.6.0; but for some reason it fails to
> work properly with the OpenEXR library package available for that system.

In my digging it seemed like occasionally folks had to update an
environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to the location of a
packages particular *.pc files. They can be in different locations and
the ones getting picked up on linux for gnu compiles seem mostly located
in :

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig

with:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/OpenEXR.pc

and

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/IlmBase.pc

being the two used for openexr. I suppose on other systems, compilers
where the *.pc files get picked up might change. If you find a different
location is needed for Mac OS X darwin 15.6.0 etc, perhaps the easiest
fix is our setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH to point to it?

You can check the current defaulted library paths being used to find
*.pc files with the command:

     pkg-config --variable pc_path pkg-config

One of the reasons I now find myself unwilling to duplicate the
pkg_config function is that it is not all that simple in total. I think
I'm going to bail on this work if you insist on a pkg-config like
solution we own.

Aside: There is a perl script (cpan pm package) called, if I remember,
ppkg-config that some use as an alternative to pkg-config though it was
all that clear to me why. I've not looked at it, but if you really want
to avoid pkg-config starting there with the idea we'd ship such a script
ourselves is perhaps a place to start.

Aside2: A while back I tried to do a static compile with --enable-static
and it failed to link a library other than openexr. I wonder now if I
could find the link flags needed to get this going with "pkg-config
--static".

Where do you want to go with this?

I'll hold off making any further updates pending your answer.

Bill P.