POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Linux : Re: Linux Server Time
23 Apr 2024 07:10:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Apr 2017 13:59:45
Message: <58e92511$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Apr 2017 05:47:28 -0400, clipka wrote:

> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> We do not make any attempts to provide pre-built packages for any Linux
>> distro whatsoever.
>
> (Just for clarification, what I meant is that we currently do not make
> any attempts to provide pre-built packages /ourselves/, but rather leave
> that up to the distro folks; of course we are more than happy to provide
> /them/ with support as best as we can. But we currently have neither the
> manpower nor expertise nor infrastructure in place to actively get
> involved in the Linux pre-built packages ecosystem.)

FWIW, though, someone who was interested in doing so could probably use
the Open Build Service (build.opensuse.org) to build packages for
multiple distributions - it doesn't just do packaging for openSUSE.

The only caveat might be the license POV-Ray uses - I know there are some
restrictions when it comes to software that has patent encumbrances
(which I'm sure POV-Ray doesn't), but someone who was interested in
looking into it further could make that determination.

Just a thought :)