POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : ior.inc fails in 3.7.1 beta 3 : Re: ior.inc fails in 3.7.1 beta 3 Server Time
23 Apr 2024 11:39:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ior.inc fails in 3.7.1 beta 3
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 23 Feb 2017 09:47:49
Message: <58aef615$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/22/2017 10:57 AM, Kenneth wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>

>> Are you up for submitting a github pull request against the 3.7.1 branch
>> with your updates? If not, would you please make your updates available
>> here in a scene file newsgroup so someone else might create the pull req
>> or otherwise pick up your changes?
>>

> I guess you mean Christoph (?)  I'm clueless about 'pull requests' and such. But
> I'll be glad to post my corrected ior.inc file in the scene-files section, if
> that would help.

I had in mind this issue being a good example that information made
available on https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray is useful to the POV-Ray
community as a whole - no matter who makes it available there.

Christoph is the effective github gate keeper for the code base and I
see this morning a git commit/fix was made. Jim Holsenback similarly is
the gate keeper for documentation. Either can make changes to 'POV-Ray'
directly.

Any of us willing to climb the learning curve can submit a
code/distribution pull requests via git & github.  There is too a
simpler method to edit and submit small changes directly on github
without having to get fully into git / github though you need an account.

See:
https://help.github.com/articles/editing-files-in-your-repository/

No matter who publishes fixes/changes/'commits' to github, these are
publicly available to everyone via the github web site. Christoph's
'commit' can be seen in the list of commits for the v3.7.1 at:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/commits/release/v3.7.1

click on the particular commit "Fix `ior.inc`." and see the edits needed
to get running with ior.inc prior to any new official release.

The differences shown are those Cousin Ricky posted in this thread -  in
a form all can see - and that all of us up and running with git and
github can with a click/command or two immediately use & test locally
and well ahead of - or even completely apart from - any official
'POV-Ray' adoption and release.

In general I'm advocating for more github use by the POV-Ray community -
as a place to publish code controlled object libraries too.

Bill P.