POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : feature request: disable file overwrite : Re: feature request: disable file overwrite Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request: disable file overwrite
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jan 2017 11:52:04
Message: <58878634$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.01.2017 um 14:05 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> I know that when I've downloaded files with a browser, many of the browsers will
> save a file (file1.ext) and then if the same or another file with the same name
> is downloaded, it will create a modified file name (file1(2).ext).
>
> Could some sort of .ini or command line option be implemented so that POV-Ray
> will not overwrite an existing render in the directory?

Yes, in a theoretical sense such a thing could be implemented.

As so often, the devil is in the details though: For instance, how would
you expect POV-Ray to react when rendering an animation, and /some/
frames already exist while others do not?

Also, it may be non-trivial to implement this in a manner that would fit
the intended architecture (part of which has already been put in place)
when we go for distributed rendering.

Besides, should this be a Windows-only feature (you're posting to
povray.windows, after all)? That would probably make things even more
complicated.

And last not least, is this something you deem important enough to put
other stuff aside for? Unfortunately, there's only so much manpower we
have at our disposal.