POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Not a render, but... : Re: Not a render, but... Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:10:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a render, but...
From: clipka
Date: 14 Dec 2016 19:50:57
Message: <5851e8f1$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.12.2016 um 00:51 schrieb omniverse:

> Recreate using SSLT? Simple enough, right? Maybe not. I tried animation frames
> to look for good values of translucency and mm_per_unit.

Ah, you folks make me mad! How come everyone and their uncle want to toy
around the "mm_per_unit" setting?

It is supposed to be the number of millimiters in a POV-Ray unit. The
general scale of your scene. Couldn't be easier as that, could it? It's
not some fancy knob to twiddle if you happen to be unhappy with how your
subsurface-enabled materials look.

(scuffles off, mumbling)

No, seriously: Any visual effect you can achieve by tweaking the
"mm_per_unit" setting can just as well be achieved by tweaking the
subsurface settings instead.

Also, the "mm_per_unit" setting is /not/ an SSLT parameter. Subsurface
light transport just /happens/ to be the only feature currently making
use of it -- the idea being that this allows you to re-use the very same
material definition in a scene that uses an entirely different scale.

Other existing features that could also benefit from this mechanism
include fog, media and fading interiors, but as they were invented
before "mm_per_unit" that would mean changing their syntax.