POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Unix debugging expertise needed : Re: Unix debugging expertise needed Server Time
16 Apr 2024 02:46:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unix debugging expertise needed
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 14 Dec 2016 03:12:36
Message: <5850fef4$1@news.povray.org>
Le 14/12/2016 à 01:59, jhu a écrit :

>> I need someone to get this baby to cry in a controlled environment, to
>> figure out why it does so in our Travis CI automated build test
>> environemnt, and ideally find a way to soothe it there.
>>
>> It might just be afraid of the dark (read: having no terminal
>> associated, or some such), but at the moment that's just a wild guess.
>
> Someone else said it works fine on their Ubuntu 12.04 system. Perhaps it's
> specific your particular hardware configuration?

pure virtual called is usually a problem of code vs compiler vs linker.
(child class declared the method, but did not implement it)

It can also be a problem of a fool pointer being interpreted as a
pointer to a class that is not the expected one anymore. (such as to a
deleted instance) and then, it can depend a lot on the actual system
usage about what is found in the memory for that pointer. Memory
problems can be due to race or serialization between cores.

I tried it on 64 bits ubuntu 12.04, with g++ 4.6.3, and 4 cores.

It could also be tied to the subversion of g++ (I cannot update that
system, and maybe 12.04 did not stay at 4.6.3), or 32 vs 64.